Metaphor Magic: Using Symbolism to Make Your Learning Points More Powerful
Would you say that learning is like the Ocean? Or a Sponge? Or a Cookie?
Seasoned trainers know that attention and retention are dramatically increased when we integrate various sensory dimensions into our training Programs (hearing, seeing, discussing, experiencing). We’ve even enhanced the learning environment with music and stimulating scents.The next step in increasing retention when working with groups is to activate the subconscious, engage the whole-brain and stimulate the imagination.
Effects of using metaphors, similes and stories in the classroom are twofold:
- Puts Learners in a relaxed and receptive state of mind, allowing them to think and interpret.
- Allows you to convey maximum meaning with a minimum of words
The objectives of this session are to:
- Recognize the power of metaphors and symbolism in the learning environment.
- Increase learner retention by learning how to construct and facilitate their use.
- Present your content in a way that is easily and universally understood.